Library card policy
1. Patrons must use their own library card to check out materials. Patrons can check out materials without their library card if they show a valid photo ID at the circulation desk.
2. Borrowing and renewal privileges will be suspended after a patron has accrued a total of $3.00 worth of fines/fees, or if an item has been deemed lost on his/her library account. The account will be cleared and privileges reinstated upon the return of lost items and/or fines paid. All items may be returned after hours in our outside drop box. If returned in the drop after hours on date due, or before the library opens at 10:00 the day after due date, late fees will not be incurred.
3. Materials are loaned by the library with the understanding that the borrower will return them in the same condition and by the due date established by the library.
4. Most books may be checked out for 14 days and may be renewed two times if no one else has reserved the book. The overdue fine is .10 per day.
5. Magazines, music CDs, books on CD and books with CDs may be checked out for 14 days and can be renewed two times. The overdue fine for these items is $.10 per day.
6. 5 DVDs may be checked out per card, per visit. NEW DVD titles are checked out for a period of 3 days and cannot be renewed. Older title DVDs may be renewed once for a period of 7 days. The overdue fine is $2.00 per day for each late DVD. DVDs may be returned after hours in our outside drop box. If returned in the drop after hours on date due, late fees will not be incurred. Late fines for DVDs will not exceed $6.00 per item.
7. PARENTS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SELECTION OF APPROPRIATE ITEMS FOR THEIR CHILDREN. Parents are also responsible for any item checked out by a child under the age of 18.
8. Parents should be aware that while the library is concerned for the safety of children that visit the library, staff is not responsible for the supervision of children visiting the library. Children in fifth grade and younger must be accompanied by someone 18 years or older while in the library.
9. Reserved items and interlibrary loan items will be held at the circulation desk for patron pickup.
10. Books and Audio Books checked out from a Shelby County Library may be returned to any library in Shelby County (Alabaster, Calera, Chelsea, Columbiana, Harrison Regional, Harpersville, Helena, Montevallo, Mount Laurel, North Shelby, Vincent, Westover, and Wilsonville). Any other items(DVDs, Blu-rays, video games, Music CDs) should be returned to the library where you checked them out. The owning library may choose to charge a fine for returning any of these items to another Shelby County library. Check with the owning library for their rules and restrictions. There is a $5 fee for each Shelby County Library item that is returned to an out of county library, e.g. Hoover.
11. No smoking or eating allowed in the library. Patrons may have bottled drinks with a cap or in a cup with a lid. No canned drinks. No drinks are allowed at the computers.
12. Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated in the library. Please be courteous of others while using the library. Library patrons must be appropriately clothed, including shirts and shoes. No pets are allowed in the library (service animals are welcome).
13. Cell phone use that disturbs other patrons is not permitted inside the library building.
14. The library is not responsible for any damage to personal equipment caused by library items.
15. Patrons are responsible for materials checked out on their library cards. The parent/guardian is responsible for materials checked out on the juvenile’s card.
A copy of the rules is given to everyone who applies for a library card. When you sign the application you agree to abide by these rules.
Reserve or renew items online at http://catalog.shelbycounty-al.org/polaris. You need your library card barcode number and PIN (4 digit birthday month/day, ex., Jan 15 as 0115).