Library Assistant (Part Time)
This is a paraprofessional position in a public library. Staff member will be responsible for assisting with day-to-day operations of a community library that includes diverse ages and ethnicities. Position requires member to work under the direction of the library director, librarian, or senior staff.
· High School Graduate or equivalent
· Prior library experience preferred.
· Excellent customer service skills.
· Ability to use computers and applicable software.
PART-TIME. Must be able to work 2 Saturdays a month (9:30 am - 1 pm), Tuesdays 10 am – 1 pm OR 5 pm - 8pm, and Thursdays 5 pm - 8 pm. Not to exceed 9.5 hours in a week.
· Stand/Walk for at least 4 hours at a time; Lift/move 50+ pounds
· Raise arms above shoulder height to retrieve/shelve/organize materials
· Stoop & bend to collect materials from book drops
· Understand the chain of command and work with little or no supervision
· Work well with public using diplomacy, discretion, flexibility and cooperation
· Explain to and assist patrons in locating and using library materials. Use computers and applicable software (Windows-based) to search for materials, check materials in/out, reserve materials, register new patrons, etc.
· Help patrons use computers, software, and databases
· Search database, issue library cards, perform Internet searches, etc.
· Answers the telephone, performs telephone reference, and referral.
· Help patron make copies or send faxes.
· Any additional duties as required from patron interaction or requested by director.
HOURLY RATE is $9.15 per hour. NO MEDICAL, DENTAL, SICK/VACATION, HOLIDAY, OR RETIREMENT BENEFITS PAID.
to apply for this position, please visit the city of montevallo website and submit an application.
*please disregard schedule details listed on City website